Sunday, October 18, 2009

Chile Rellenos with Roasted Tomatillo Sauce


So with the yumminess found in my first experience with Bountiful Baskets, I made chile rellenos. They are my all-time favorite Mexican food, but they are always hit and miss and restaurants, so I don't order them too often.

My Mexican Pack came with 4 giant, dark green poblano chiles. They were beautiful and instantly called out to me that they wanted to be made into chile rellenos. Luckily for me, I had a plethora of other Mexican produce to compliment them and an awesome friend/chef just posted a recipe for a tomatillo sauce. The pack had all the necessary produce.

I altered her recipe a tiny bit. I think I used 8 tomatillos. I didn't use the sour cream (although I might if I was using it as a dressing), I just used olive oil. I added some roasted onion. I added one roasted chile (I don't know what kind it was and I wasn't sure how spicy it was. It was yellow and about the size of a jalepeno.) Next time I'll add two. And I just roasted all the veggies, including the garlic, on my grill. The sauce was what really made the rellenos awesome.

Now for the actual Chile Relleno recipe.

4-5 Poblano Chiles (Anaheim also work well, and I used one plain old green pepper for the kids)
Filling
8 oz. cream cheese
1/2 c. grated cheese (Jack or any mexican cheese are best, but I ended up using cheddar)
1 clove garlic, minced (I should have roasted another 1 or 2 cloves for the filling)
handful of chopped cilantro
2 T chopped onion (I should have roasted that as well)
salt to taste
Batter
4 eggs, separated
flour
salt

Roast the whole poblanos on the grill until the skin is nice and blackened all over. Place in a paper bag and close for 15 minutes. Remove skin from chiles and carefully deseed, if desired. (I left two with seeds for Tom and extra spiciness. Mine without seeds had the perfect level of heat.)

Mix filling ingredients. Carefully slit each chile and stuff with filling and fold back closed.

Whip egg whites until stiff peaks form. Fold in yolks. Dip each filled chile in flour with a bit of salt and shake off all excess. Dip in egg batter and immediately fry in skillet with hot oil. Fry until golden brown on each side and filling is hot.


Serve with Roasted Tomatillo Sauce, Mexican Brown Rice, gaucamole and fresh corn tortillas.

7 comments:

Jen said...

I am sooooo excited you posted this. I was looking at a relleno casserole from epicurious, but I'm doing this instead now. Thanks!

Sharron said...

Wow, you always go gourmet in your kitchen. It all looks really good. I will have to try the tomatillo sauce, with the sour cream . . . low or fat free of course.

Try their breads, they're great and the price is right, unless you
make your own.

m said...

this looks so good, Yum! I love that you roasted the ingredients- perfect for chile rellenos.

Sharron said...

Just got a wonderful recipe for the gray squash and posted it, check it out! Is it OK if I refer others to your blog when you have a recipe?

Tink said...

Looks yummy. I would like more info on the produce baskets if you have more details. Thanks

Reed, Liz and the kids said...

I do bountiful baskets at my house and love it! I haven't been able to do it the last couple of times and I miss all the fresh ingredients! I must get back to it

Unknown said...

duuude!...... where's the roasted tomatillo sauce recipe?! That's what I wanted to find......