Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Pioneer Woman Rocks!


Okay, I think I am in love with a woman, the Pioneer Woman to be exact. Her recipes are full of butter, sugar, fat, calories and pure yumminess. The most recent recipe I have tried is Apple Dumplings with Mountain Dew.

I was oh so lucky to be invited to a delicious dinner where they were served by Jen (the most awesome quilter, cook and just all around cute person I know). She sent me home with 4 leftover dumplings (one for each member of our family). The next night I ate all four with a giant scoop of ice cream all by myself. I may have given Tom one bite. I later made them for Tom's family and then we had them on Easter.

I made a few small alterations to Pioneer Woman's recipe which I think make them even more divine. Instead of using 1/8 of an apple in each dumpling, I use closer to a 1/4 - 1/3 of an apple. I also added chopped cranberries with the apples.

This is the simplest recipe ever.

Pioneer Woman's Apple Dumplings

2 Granny Smith apples, peeled, cored and sliced (I use 4 apples)
2 cans crescent rolls (you know, the ones in the can)
2 cubes butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1- 8 oz can Mt Dew
Cinnamon
Wrap each apple slice in a crescent roll. Place in greased cake pan. Melt butter. Add sugar and stir slightly. Add vanilla. Stir a little. Pour the pure yumminess over the dumplings. Pour Mt. Dew around the edge of the pan. Sprinkle with cinnamon. Bake at 350 for 40 minutes. Serve with a scoop of vanilla or cinnamon ice cream.

I ate them last night with light ice cream and it made me feel better about eating them.

6 comments:

Reed, Liz and the kids said...

I saw that recipe on her site and wondered how it was. I am a huge fan!! Also- the Kalu pig was great! Thx for the recipe

Jen said...

I looooooove those dumplings. I used more than an 1/8 of an apple, too. Maybe she just had much bigger apples. The cranberries sound fun!

I am so excited about the tumbling blocks. I finished cutting mine out yesterday and am arranging different patterns to decide what I like. I'm taking pictures so I can put it to a vote.

Liz said...

what an interesting ingredient, Mountain Dew. I'll have to try these. Soon, I hope. I'll let you know what I think.
My parents and actually most of my family are all living in Tucson right now. And yes my parents are still in the countryside ward. Afterall these years. I go down every once in a while and see many familiar faces. We've all grown up so much and so fast. It's amazing that we have kids, it feels like yesterday I was running in track for highschool. Ah, memories.

Ashley A. said...

I can only imagine that certain members of the Dansie family are elated with the "Dew" as an ingredient! These look so yummy, we will have to give them a try.

jamieanne said...

This made me laugh out loud!
I gotta try this.

Unknown said...

My mom made those before. They are pretty good.