Wednesday, April 15, 2009

Whole Wheat Apricot-Yogurt Bread


I had some opened canned apricots in my fridge that needed to be used up, so I decided to make apricot bread. I basically followed the recipe for Banana Bread in Betty Crocker, but used my canned apricots. The bread turned out pretty good. My kids loved it and wanted more so I decided to try to make it even better the next day.

This time, I used the banana bread recipe to get me started and then just had fun with it after that. I used defrosted frozen apricots without the added syrup. I tried to make it healthy by using whole wheat flour, very little oil and not a ton of sugar. I think it turned out great. It might have been a little bland so I am putting salt in the recipe even though I didn't use any. It could also have been bland because I am suffering some allergies something fierce.

Then I decided to enter it into a contest, so that is why I mention specific brand on some of the products. I have always wanted to enter a recipe contest and this was one that met the ingredient requirements, so I did it. Oh yea, and I didn't actually use any apricot preserves, but it sounded good and would give me one more sponsored ingredient so I put it in the recipe.

But anyway here is my recipe for

Whole Wheat Apricot-Yogurt Bread
  • 2 cup(s) apricot, pureed
  • 2 each Eggland's Best large white eggs
  • 1 cup(s) sugar
  • 1/4 cup(s) honey
  • 1/4 cup(s) Smucker's Apricot Preserves
  • 1/2 cup(s) plain yogurt
  • 2 tablespoon(s) Crisco Pure Canola Oil
  • 1.5 cup(s) Pillsbury Best All Purpose flour
  • 1.5 cup(s) Whole wheat flour
  • 1 tablespoon(s) baking powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon(s) baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon(s) nutmeg
  • 1 teaspoon(s) vanilla
  • 1 teaspoon(s) salt
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Spray 4 small (4.5" x 2.5" x 2.5")loaf pans with no-stick cooking spray.
  2. Puree defrosted frozen apricots, pitted and halved in a food processor until smooth.
  3. In a large bowl, combine apricot puree, Eggland's Best large white eggs, sugar, honey, Smucker's Apricot Preserves, yogurt, Crisco Pure Canola Oil and vanilla. Mix with electric mixer until well blended. Set aside.
  4. In a another large bowl, combine flours, baking powder, baking soda, nutmeg and salt. Whisk together. Make well in center of flour mixture.
  5. Pour apricot mixture all at once into flour mixture. Stir just until combined.
  6. Spoon batter into prepared pans. Bake at 350 degrees for 30-35 minute, until a toothpick inserted near center comes out clean.
  7. Remove from oven. Cool on rack in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan. Cool completely on rack.

3 comments:

Sharron said...

May I say, shades of Anne of Green Gables . . giggle .?? but it really sounds yummy!

Jen said...

Thanks! This was delicious.

Best of luck next week. Run like the wind.

Marianne said...

It sounds yummy-I'll be trying it soon!