Saturday, February 26, 2011

Shredded Wheat Muffins


You know when you eat a box (or bag if you are in to malt-o-meal like I am) of shredded wheat, frosted or not, you always end up with a bunch of shredded shredded wheat crumbs. My kids like to call it magic dust and they will gladly pour the stuff in their bowls.

But my amazing friend Jenny gave me a better use for the stuff: Shredded Wheat Muffins.

I've made them twice now in two variations. I made an orange-cranberry muffin and an apple-cinnamon with streusel topping. I did have troubles with my muffins collapsing in the center. I'm not sure why. Should I add another egg? More baking powder? But regardless, they tasted great!



Jenny's Awesome Shredded Wheat Muffins
3 c Flour
1 + cup shredded wheat magic dust
2 T baking powder
2 t salt
1 c brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 c milk
1/2 c oil
Mix dry ingredients. In separate bowl mix eggs, milk and oil. Add to dry mixture and stir just until moistened. Fold in filling.
filling and spice
        Apple Streusel Muffin
        2 c chopped apple
        3 t cinnamon
        1/2 t nutmeg
        streusel topping (1 c brown sugar, 1 c oats, 1/2 c flour, 1 cube cold butter cut in, 2 t cinnamon)
        Cranberry Orange Muffin
        2 C chopped cranberries
        zest and juice from 1 orange
        Blueberry
        2 c frozen blueberries blended with 1/2 c yogurt
        2 t cinnamon

Spoon into muffin tins (don't overfill). Bake at 375 for 20-25 minutes.
       
    


2 comments:

Sharron said...

These sound so good, I just might go and buy some shredded wheat to make them!

Jen said...

Those are fun variations. I'll have to try them!