Sunday, March 9, 2008

Kalua Pig

Photo from Aspen Caterers (www.aspencaterers.com/food.html)

One of my very favorite things to make is Kalua Pig. I learned to make it while I cooked at BYU. We had a lot of luau's there. Anyway, this is the simplest and yummiest of recipes. It is best if you serve it with Panipopo (Samoan coconut bread).

Kalua Pig
1 - 5 to 6 lb. pork roast (butt, shoulder, whatever is cheapest)
2 T liquid smoke
1 T sea salt

Combine ingredients in a crock pot and cook on low for 8 or so hours. The fattier the meat the better. It will just fall apart. Shred with two forks. Taste and add more liquid smoke and sea salt to taste. Serve with sticky rice and panipopo.

Panipopo
Fresh or frozen bread dough to make 18 rolls (I make a 2 # batch of dough in my bread maker or use Rhodes frozen rolls)
1 can coconut milk
2/3 c sugar
1 T cornstarch

Let rolls rise in a cake pan. Meanwhile combine coconut milk, sugar and cornstarch in a bowl. Pour over risen rolls (be generous) and bake at 350 for 15-20 minutes. Serve with Kalua Pig.


Next week I will post the recipe for my version of Cafe Rio Salad. It is a great way to use up leftover Kalua Pig or to make from scratch.

7 comments:

Reed, Liz and the kids said...

do you remember the pans and pans of Kalua pig we had when we were having the ward luau. I remember burning my hands trying to shred HOT pig. It tasted wonderful...and I will have to try your recipe. I do love me some pig!

Reed, Liz and the kids said...

also- was the pic from your backyard party? :) I am very impressed

Dansie Family said...

no the pig is not from my party. it was crock pot kalua pig.

La Familia Mata said...

Don't you just miss BYU kitchen? I'm excited to try the Kalua pig...yum!

Ashley A. said...

I totally forgot about your days at the Cougar Eat. I'll have to try those rolls, I love coconut stuff like that!

Jen said...

Ah ha! I have wanted both of those recipes but always forget to look for one. Thanks!

Liz said...

I'll have to put pig on my grocery list next time. Sounds good.
Thanks for the great resource on Disneyland advice, it made the trip real enjoyable.