Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Watermelon-Strawberry Sorbet


I had some extra watermelon sitting around and decided to make a sorbet out of it. Super simple and super yummy. I found a recipe somewhere and changed it up a bit and threw in different stuff and processed it in my ice cream maker and it turned out delicious.

Watermelon-Strawberry Sorbet

7-8 c. seedless watermelon chunks
2-3 c. strawberries, hulled
2 c. sugar
1/4 c. lime juice
1/4 c. orange juice

In batches, place watermelon and strawberries in food processor or blender and blend until smooth. Place 2 cups puree in saucepan with sugar and cook until sugar is dissolved. Add the rest of the puree and juices. Chill. Process in ice cream maker until thick. Freeze a couple of hours. If you freeze it overnight, let it soften 15 minutes before serving.

Now I am excited for summer and and all the opportunities I will have to make sorbet, now that I know it is so simple. I was thinking to try a peach-mango sorbet, cantaloupe sorbet, whatever fruit is ripe and cheap. I may even try some mix-ins.

What other ideas do you have?

5 comments:

Jen said...

I'm thinking some sort of glorious pina colada could come out of this.

If I am ever independently wealthy and you want a part-time job, you can be my personal chef/paid friend to hang out with.

The Farnsworths said...

That looks delicious, I think I will try it sometime. Good job tonight at the game, by the way.

La Familia Mata said...

How did you know that I had a half watermelon sitting in my fridge screaming at me to do something with it? You're good!

Lane said...

Everything on your blog looks so good. It makes me want to come to your house for dinner.

Anonymous said...

If it ever warms up in Seattle I'm going to make this sorbet - it just sounds so good! You've got a great blog - found you through Rowena's Rantings - and I just love her! Thanks for the great read! Nan