Monday, March 28, 2011

Meatless Monday: Acorn Squash and Turnip Soup

I received an acorn squash (which I like) and 4 giant turnips (which I don't love) in my Bountiful Basket recently. The squash sat on my counter for 2 plus weeks and the giant turnips sat untouched in my produce drawer. I finally decided I needed to use them up. I remembered a link on the Bountiful Basket Facebook page for a turnip-butternut squash soup from All Recipes. I found the recipe to get a base for my soup and then just kind of flew by the seat of my pants. I think it turned out delicious.

Acorn Squash and Turnip Soup

2 T butter
1 T olive oil
1 sm onion, diced
3 c acorn squash, peeled and cubed
3 c turnips, peeled and cubed
2 cloves garlic
3 c chicken stock
2 c water
1 t chicken base
1/2 t nutmeg
1 c cream
salt and pepper

Sautee onion and veggies in butter and oil. Add garlic. Add stock, water and base. Simmer until veggies are soft. Blend with hand mixer or in batches in blender. Add nutmeg, cream and salt and pepper to taste.

We served it with a simple spinach salad and homemade half whole wheat rolls.

2 comments:

Linda said...

I made the zuchinni pancakes last week. They were delicious. Thanks for sharing the recipes!

Sharron said...

The others sounded good . . this I'm not so sure!