Monday, March 21, 2011

Meatless Monday: Pasta Fagioli and Zucchini Pancakes

One Monday morning I was running on my treadmill and I started watching the Cake Boss's cooking show. I can't stand the guy, but he was making some fun sounding meatless dishes that I happened to have all the ingredients for (thanks to Bountiful Baskets).  So I decided to suffer through his annoying mannerisms to get his recipes for Pasta Fagioli and Zucchini pancakes. I adapted them a bit to work for me so here are my recipes.

Pasta Fagioli

1 sm onion, chopped
2 carrots, sliced
1 stalk celery, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
4-6 c water
1 4 oz can tomato paste
2 cans kidney beans, drained
parmesan rind ( I didn't have this so I topped with parmesan)
salt and pepper to taste
1 lb pasta, cooked al dente
fresh spinach or kale (i forgot to put this in :(

Sautee onion, carrot and celery in olive oil. Add water, tomato paste, kidney bean and parmesan rind if using. Simmer until veggies are soft. Add pasta and simmer 15 or so minutes. Add more water if needed. Remove rind. Salt and pepper to taste. Add spinach or kale and cook 5 minutes.

Zucchini Pancakes

2 zucchinis (or yellow squash), grated
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 c onion, finely chopped
1 T italian seasoning
1/3 c italian cheese (parmesan, romano, mozarella)
2 T flour
2 eggs
salt and pepper

Squeeze squash of excess liquid. Combine all ingredients and sautee in vegetable oil until browned.


These were both super simple dishes to prepare, super delicious, super healthy and meatless.

2 comments:

Sharron said...

These do sound good. I ;ll have to try them when I have others around to help eat them. . . if I love them, you know I won't be able to resist and I have to get my "baby weight" off.

Linda said...

Those Zuchinni pancakes sound and look yummy. I'm going to try it.